How do I dress and behave?
Folks who visit St. Stephen’s can dress in whatever way they feel comfortable for a Sunday morning. We have folks who visit in suit and tie, and people who come in walking shorts. We’re interested in the “real you.”
What if my kids are “active”?
Children are welcome! We understand that children can be active, and that they talk. We think of it as “joyful noise.” We have foam floor mats that can be used along with quiet, interactive items appropriate for little ones up through about six. Sitting up front where they can see everything helps them and others as it helps everyone know what is happening. If the behavior is seriously disruptive, you can move into the entry area where we also have books and other materials for children.
Do you ask visitors to introduce themselves?
No. Please sit where you choose and participate at the level that is comfortable for you. We would be honored if you would join us for treats after the service in our social hall, but don’t want to make anyone uncomfortable with too much attention. We know how unnerving it can be to enter a room full of strangers.
How does Communion work?
Jesus’ table is open to all people who earnestly seek God. It is not “our table,” but God’s table. The Lutheran Church celebrates two Sacraments, Baptism and Holy Communion (also known as the Lord’s Supper and Eucharist). Sacraments are gifts of God. We freely celebrate them with all who desire to receive them. Please speak with the Pastor if you desire to be Baptized or have more questions.
Worship Music, and Communion
- Masks will be optional, with disposable masks continuing to be made available. It will be assumed that folks not wearing masks have been fully vaccinated.
- Physical distancing will still be encouraged for seating in the sanctuary.
- The Communion hymn will be instrumental only during the distribution. Once everyone is served communion, pastor returns to the table and the community stands and sings a single verse of the Communion hymn.
- The offering plate will remain at the entrance door, rather than passing the plate.
- Distribution via regular wafers and individual cups of wine.
- If a person prefers gluten free or low gluten, they will take a pre-wrapped wafer at the entrance.
- Distribution to occur in front of communion table, with worshippers encouraged to maintain safe physical separation.
- For a time, we will offer a Zoom worship service at 8:30am.
- The In-Person worship service will be held at 9:30 with full liturgy.
- We will re-evaluate our protocols as needed. Please make your concerns known to the Church Council.